Thursday, November 8, 2007

Fun With Seeds and Family

Today I have started a project that I have never attempted before- growing vegetables from seed during cold weather. I'm kind of nervous. :) We have grown vegetables in our cold frame in the spring and they did extremely well so we'll see what happens! I tried growing flowers from seeds last year and wasn't very successful. :)

Yesterday, Eric helped me relocate our empty cold frame to our open garden plot so our veggies would get more sun. After loosening the soil today, I planted my seeds! For my experiment, I decided to plant some lettuce and spinach for salads throughout the cold weather. Also, planting lettuce and spinach is pretty fool-proof since they're both very versatile vegetables. I planted half of the cold frame with lettuce and half with spinach. We shall see if they grow!


Buddy watched me plant today and was constantly running away with my seed packets! I guess his cuteness makes up for his mischievousness. :)

At around lunchtime today, Nan, Aunt Rhonda, and Emily came over for a visit! It is always so nice to have them. :) We had spicy vegetable soup, pasta salad, and turkey wraps for lunch. Emily loved playing with Buddy!

After everyone had left, Mom, Eric, and I went for a country drive to pick Philip up from college. Mom surprised us for dinner by taking us to an Italian restaurant! Now we are all stuffed and sleepy. :) A perfect ending for a wonderful day! ~Alli

3 comments:

Meredith Ivy said...

What a fun day! Alli, I think it's wonderful that you have decided to shut down your blog in favor of furthering your family's blog- it's very Botkin-ish!

Mere

The Trent Family said...

Thanks Mere! Hopefully I will be able to write more often now that I only have one blog to manage. :) It is kind of sad to leave my other blog, but I don't think I'm, going to get rid of it entirely. I'll still be able to look back on it every now and then. I am definitely enjoying writing on our family's blog a lot though! ~Alli

Anonymous said...

Keep us updated on how your seeds grow! That will be nice to have fresh grens during the winter!