Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Soup's On!

A few days ago, I tried another new recipe from the Almost Homemade cookbook from the Gooseberry Patch! Here is their website if you want to visit : http://www.gooseberrypatch.com I just can't get over how easy these recipes are to put together. And the ingredients are really simple as well. Next time, I think I am going to double this soup and freeze it in Ziploc bags. This way, we can just toss a bag of it in the crock pot and be done with it! Voila!

Spicy Vegetable Soup

1lb ground beef (we used turkey)
1 C. onion, chopped
1 C. celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
30-oz. jar chunky garden style spaghetti sauce
10-oz. tomatoes with chiles (we used really mild)
10-oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
10-1/2 oz. can beef broth
2 C. water
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper

Combine ground beef (or turkey), onion, celery, and garlic over medium heat in a stockpot; cook until beef is browned and onion tender. Drain; stir in remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours to blend flavors. Serves 8 to 10. Enjoy!

~Alli

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We also like a lot of Gooseberry Patch stuff, though I don't think we've ever made any of the recipes from the books. We have a soup recipe pretty similar to this one that we make often, although ours doesn't include potatoes (and we like the regular spicy tomatoes).

The Trent Family said...

Oh, I would love to know your recipe Hannah! We love spicy anything! :) Really? Y'all can stand the regular spicy tomatoes? It's making my eyes water just thinking about it! :) Do you use the Rotel brand tomatoes? That's our favorite. ~Alli

Anonymous said...

Yes, we get the Rotel brand, the "regular" version. Actually, all of us like the soup except Sarah--the tomatoes are too spicy for her. We once tried the "spicy" kind, but that was just too much!

I think our recipe is pretty much the same as yours, except that it doesn't call for eihter the potatoes or the chili powder. WE usually cook ours for 20 minutes, then add the mixed veggies and tomatoes and cook for another 10-20 min. And I just noticed that y'all use turkey--that sounds good to try.

Anonymous said...

It's not that it's too spicy, it's just not my favorite soup for some reason. Just to clear up that...ahem...little bit of misinformation. ;) Although the hot Rotel WAS making us all break out in sweat and our eyes water! :)

The Trent Family said...

Hahaha! I believe you Sarah! I think mild is the way to go. :) If I have a gallon-size jug of water sitting beside me, I think I could eat the normal. Did you know that if you eat a piece of bread with something spicy, it really helps? Your eyes still might water though...;) ~Alli