Thursday, March 29, 2007

They're Growing!


This year, our family has decided to save some money by growing our own veggies from seeds. This has been our first attempt to do so, and so far things are actually growing! Dad built us this cold frame from two old windows. We found these antique windows at our old farmhouse that has been in the family for many generations. It's amazing how the cold frame works just like a greenhouse!





Spinach is growing in the closest flat. Then we have assorted annual flowers in the middle and tiny tomato plants in the round pans. Our garden plot is ready and waiting for these new little plants to join the already planted salad mix, beets, and cabbage that we grew from seed as well. We didn't realize how simple it was to grow our own plants from the start! The other day, Mom and I saw a flat of flowers for 24$! It is such a great bargain to buy a pack of seeds for less than a dollar, and you end up with more for your money! Of course it takes a little more effort and patience to start from scratch. But on the other hand it is interesting to see the growing process of a plant , so intricately designed by our Creator! ~Alli



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neat to see your cold frame and all the little plants growing!! Are you doing any herbs, Alli? Your mom mentioned you were experienced with those. We have planted basil, cilantro, and mint, and I would like to experiment with others.

This year I hope to try starting some flower seeds I collected from last season--we'll see how they do! I'm curious--what type of soil mixture are you using for the seeds you are starting?

The Trent Family said...

Hi Hannah! It's so good to hear from you! Right now my herb garden does not have very many herbs growing. Already I have thyme, rosemary, chives, and lavender still growing from a few years ago. I had wanted to start some herbs from seeds but I don't know if it's too late to start them? If it is, then I'll probably buy some already grown from the local nursury. I would love to do basil, oregano, and parsley this year. What flower seeds are you going to plant? Your garden is so beautiful, even in Fall when we visited last!

For our seeds, we used Miracle Grow potting soil. It seems to be working well so far. :) Good luck with your flowers! Although I don't think you're going to need any luck...you seem to have a green thumb already! :)

~ Alli

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that a cold frame was a good substitute for a greenhouse. I would like to try something like that for next year. My daughter and I are going to try and can alot of the veggies from our garden this year, but it will be fairly small so we will also buy some things at the farmers market.

Anonymous said...

It may not be too late to start your herbs--some of the flowers I'm planting say start indoors 4-6 weeks before the frost date, which is within the next 2 weeks. I'm planting scabiosa, cosmos, cockscomb, and love-in-a mist seeds. Later I'll probably do sunflowers and zinnias.

Thanks for letting me know about the soil. That's probably what I'll end up using. Or maybe try doing a mixture of perlite, vermiculite and all that. :) Gardening is fun, and there's a lot to learn!

Anonymous said...

Your dad did a wonderful job! I have never heard of that before. How neat!

~Malina