Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Canning Day

One of the joys of having a garden is being able to enjoy it. Today, we decided to harvest our beets and pickle them. I do love canning, although it is hard work and takes forever! Here, Philip, Eric, and I are plucking up our row of beets for canning.


Finished! Eric looks like he's in pain, but the funny face is really from the heavy load. :)
After we picked our beets, we brought them over to the picnic table, washed them, and sliced off the excess stems. Mom then boiled the beets in our big pot until they were tender and ready to peel!
Once the beets were peeled and sliced, Eric and I stuffed them into hot canning jars. Our hands were beet red. :)
We then poured the brine over the sliced beets, removed the air bubbles, screwed on the lids, and set them in the canning pot to be processed.
"Pop!", "pop!"
Ah, the sound of a good canning day! Since we had some leftover brine, we decided to squeeze in a few jars of pickles as well. :) ~Alli

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like a very fun day...I loved the pictures. Very good photography...I might be needin to try me a pickled beet.
love you
R

Anonymous said...

Glad your beets turned out so well! Looks like it was a fun family project. I probably won't be canning any this season, just eating them fresh, as not many came up; oh well.

Alli, your hair looks different; I'm curious what how you did it.