Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Garden Update

A few days ago, Mom, my aunt, my cousin, and I took a trip to a local nursery and that inspired me to get my garden into shape! Mom bought many flowers to plant around her red swing, and I was able to purchase a few herbs to freshen up my herb garden. I also bought a couple of packs of flowers for some spring color!

Basil, Italian parsley, oregano, and thyme all found homes in my garden along with some zinnias and vincas. It's looking better already... minus the snake I came across while I was weeding. :)


Our vegetable garden is growing well also! Mom found a great tip off of the Pleasant View Schoolhouse blog that will help take the bitterness out of garden greens. To make them sweet, all you have to do it soak the picked greens in a bowl of cold water. Mom soaked ours for a few minutes one night for dinner and it really works! The greens are crisper and much sweeter. A great tip! ~Alli

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Guys, the garden looks fabulous..
I actually have a hankering for some salad...

love you
Aunt

Anonymous said...

Mom and I went to a nursery yesterday to look at and buy plants, too. We came home with several pretty flowers, and next week we hope to get the remainder of the things we're planting as far as veggies.

You probably would have liked the herb gardening lecture we attended yesterday afternoon. It was a beautiful day for it, and we were inspired to plant more herbs in the garden!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Aunt! Come on over!

Hi Hannah, it's good to hear from you! I'm sure I would've liked the herb gardening lecture you went to. I saw a picture of it on your blog and it looks like so much fun! Do they have it once a year? Maybe Mom and I can catch the next one. :)

I'm glad you all were able to get some flowers. Couldn't you just spend hours looking around a nursury? What vegetables do you plan on planting? You'll have to post a picture of your garden when it's finished...I would love to see it!