Thursday, April 12, 2007

My Testimony


"What is my purpose in life?" I cannot count how many times I have asked myself that very question, and how often I have been asked that by others. After the completion of high school I thought, by the world's standards, that my purpose in life was to go out and get a job or leave the home and go to college. Unfortunately, I went the working route thinking, "I guess this is just what I'm supposed to do now after high school, since I don't want to go to college." After working for two years, I felt God convicting me to quit my job and come home. I thought that if going out into the world to "make something of myself" was supposed to be my purpose, then why didn't I feel fulfilled? Instead, I felt unhappy and exhausted. While I was working, God pricked my heart and my perspective changed to, "What does God want me to do with my life? What is His design for me?" Since this change of heart, God has revealed His direction in my life in so many remarkable ways.

After searching through Scripture, I found that my ultimate purpose is to glorify God in all that I do in life. Through His Word, He revealed to me ways that I can accomplish this. All my life, my desire was to be a wife and mother one day. God showed me specifically through Scripture how this was actually part of His perfect plan for a woman. I was led to this passage, "And the Lord God said, 'It is not good for man to be alone; I will make a help meet for him.' " (Genesis 2:18) Therefore, according to this verse, a woman is to be a help meet to her husband. My purpose in this season of my life is to train for this very important role at home under the guidance of my father. My job now is to be a helper to him and his ministry as preparation for my husband one day.

God also revealed to me that my purpose is to one day be a keeper at home. I found this clearly stated in Titus 2:4-5, "That they teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their husbands, that the Word of God be not blasphemed." These are the things I am working on now while I'm still at home to prepare myself so I can one day fill this calling. Right now, our home is my ministry and I'm using it as a training ground for these purposes.

In addition to being a help-meet and a homemaker, my other desire is to be a mother one day. I feel it is my duty, as a Christian, to train and teach my children(Lord-willing) and bring them up in the glory of God. After all, my generation is going to be responsible for training up and bringing forth the next Godly generation. In this phase of my life, I am trying to learn everything I can about God's Word so I may be able to teach my children when the time comes. Currently, I am enrolled in a Christian college called Telos and I am taking some online courses through them. Telos focuses on building God's principles around all areas of the lives of believers.

Ever since God has revealed to me His plan for my life through His Word, I have felt the greatest sense of peace in my heart. Only a couple of years ago, my heart felt void and everything I did felt meaningless. I had always thought, "Why am I hear?" instead of thinking, "What does God want me to do while I'm here?" I am ashamed because I had never really looked to God's perfect Word for my answer. I only made an assumption and traveled down the path that was not intended for my life. Now I know my calling in life and can't wait to see what the future holds! Now I must focus on preparing and training myself for these future roles so that I may glorify God in my purpose. I has been difficult at times to stand alone and swim against the tide of the world, but God continually gives us the grace to get through the persecution that we receive from others. I will continue to embrace His calling and hold it dear to my heart because God's ways are sovereign, and He has truly filled the emptiness in my life.

~Alli

6 comments:

Carla Pruiett said...

Beautifully said, Alli! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. I am so thankful that our young daughters have someone such as you as an example to them. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Wow, what a beautiful and inspiring testimony... Thank you for sharing. :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post Alli! :)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading your thoughts, Alli, and seeing how God worked in your life! Thanks for encouraging us with your testimony. Keep on persevering for Him. It will be neat to see how the Lord brings about His purposes in your life.

Anonymous said...

Alli, I am so proud of the young woman that you are becoming. God can only bless you. Love you always, Nan

Anonymous said...

Alli, you said that perfectly! You are on the right track and it's such a wonderful thing to read. There is so much wisdom and truth in what you say. I am a stay-at-home, homeschooling mom and I have never been so content. The Lord will lead us to do the right thing if we listen. :-)