Thursday, August 30, 2007

Are You Bitter?

Most people do not recognize that they are bitter. Rather than admitting that they are bitter, they simply say they have been hurt or offended by others. I have been learning about the consequences of holding on to offenses and it has been very interesting. I've discovered that you can have physical consequences, spiritual consequences, emotional and mental problems all stemming from bitterness.

Bitterness is also deadly by way of passing it down to future generations, thus affecting hundreds of descendants. The sins of the parents are visited to the third and fourth generations of those who hold hatred in their hearts. Deuteronomy 5:9.

Wow! So what are we to do? I have noticed in my own life that I tend to "hold on" to offenses often revisiting them over and over trying to justify my feelings. I end up feeling bitter towards the other person after some time. God's only solution for bitterness is the complete forgiveness of our offenders. We must also realize that God has allowed these wounds in our lives for a purpose. These answers are not always easy to do. I know it's very hard for me to forgive someone who I think doesn't deserve it. The true test of forgiveness is if you can sincerely desire and hope for God's blessings on your offender. In this way you have released this person from the debt that you feel he or she owes you.

After all, we have been forgiven our debts by a loving God who sent His only Son, Jesus to die as a payment for our sins. If you have put your trust in Christ as your Saviour, then you have also been released from your penalty, death. Many blessings! ~Julie

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very well put..I think Alli was right..Just sitting down and typing as if you're journeling works very well for you..Your such a great big sis...When I grow up I really want to be just like you..Keep teaching me this kind of valuable stuff....

I love you very much,
R