Saturday, June 2, 2007

My First Pound Cake!

Yesterday, I decided to try making a pound cake! I was shocked when it actually came out of the bundt pan in one piece. :) Usually when I flip the cake out of its pan, the good part of the cake is left stuck where it shouldn't be. :)

The recipe I used came from one of Paula Deen's cookbooks, Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics, and it is definitely NOT fat-free (but it's really yummy). The recipe was for just a plain vanilla pound cake but I decided to add some fresh blueberries to the batter for a nice summertime touch.

Mama's Pound Cake

2 sticks butter

1/2 C. Crisco shortening

3 C. sugar

5 eggs

3 C. all-purpose flour

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1 C. milk

1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cream butter and shortening together. Add sugar, a little at a time. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Sift together dry ingredients and add to mixture alternately with milk, starting with flour and ending with flour. Add vanilla. Pour into greased and floured tube pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

- Paula Deen's Kitchen Classics

(If you want to, add 1-2 cups of blueberries to the batter. You can also add a dusting of powdered sugar over the top of the cooled cake for a finishing touch.)

Enjoy! ~Alli

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alli, this was probably the best cake I've had in a long while..Does it really bake at 235 the whole time...? Let me know..I might give this one a try...
love ya.
Aunt

Anonymous said...

haha! No Aunt! It actually bakes at 325 degrees! My mistake. :)

Anonymous said...

Alli, I will expect a slice next time I come for a visit....
Love, Nan