Monday, April 23, 2007

Weed Invasion!

Ah spring has finally arrived...and so have the weeds! This, I'm embarrassed to say, is my poor little herb garden. Every year around the time of my birthday, I get to work- weeding, mulching, and planting in my garden. I had always wanted to have a garden of my very own after seeing how beautiful they were when we went to old southern plantations, Williamsburg, and other historical places like that. My first herb garden was a little raised bed in the backyard of our old house. I loved watching the plants grow and experimenting with new, unusual herbs. However, when we moved to the country, I couldn't take it with me :). When we moved here, I thought I would design a garden that was inspired by one in Williamsburg. We took one day to clear out the brush and brambles, and we started laying down a gravel pathway. Next, the beds were raised and tiny herbs were planted. It has been about five years since that day, and there she sits! During the two years that I worked, my garden was not tended to at all, and as you can see from the picture above, it needs a little TLC. :)

This year, I decided to try something new and start growing my herbs from seeds. Well, it was going great and tiny sprouts started peeking out of the dirt. On one of the hottest days this week, I forgot and left the plastic covering over my growing herbs, and they turned into deep-fried herbs! Poor little guys. Anyway, I decided to give-up, I mean put that project aside for a while. :) I will try again next year! Right now, I'm going to focus on de-weeding my garden before I add anymore herbs to the beds. I can't even see the beds because they're covered in a blanket of weeds!

So, stay tuned for an herb garden update. I will post an "after" picture when I have tended to my business. I kind of feel like I was acting like the slothful man in Proverbs 24 when his garden was "...all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down...Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to sleep: so shall thy poverty come as one that travelleth; and thy want as an armed man." (Proverbs 24:31, 33-34) I had better get busy!

~Alli

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alli, you've got to take better pictures because your before shot shows not one single weed..at least I can't see one ..Your beautiful shot of the clemaitis makes it look like an oasis..I can't wait to see the after.
love you,
Aunt

Anonymous said...

Your garden is such a special place. Makes me want to sit and stay awhile. Love you, Nan

Anonymous said...

I agree with your Aunt Rhonda. :)
That's neat that you tried to design it "Williamsburg" style.It would be neat to view your garden in person!